Wednesday, November 01, 2006

 

Eid AL-Fiter

Every religion and culture has celebration. In my country, we celebrate our Independence Day on Sept. 3rd because Qatar got its independence from England on Sept. 3rd, 1971; that celebration just for my country Qatar. We also have celebrations in our religion, "Islam". One of them is called "Eid AL-Fiter" and the other one is called "Eid AL-Athha". In these days, Eid AL-Fiter comes after Ramadan, which is our month of fasting.

This was my First time to be outside of my country for Ramadan and Eid AL-Fiter.In my country the early morning we have a special pray it's called "Eid Prays."
Then we said Eid Mobarak to my Father and mother. After that, my father and I visit my grandfathers and grandmothers. Then we visit my relatives. After that, we have a big lunch in my grandfather's house. We all meet there: my uncles, my cousins, and my friends. We have a special dance called "AL-Arthah" where we dance with swords.At the night, we have big fire works.

But, now that I am here I didn't do anything like that. When the Eid came I went to Colorado State with my Friends, and we wear traditional clothes. Every one called his relatives in Qatar; then we made Eid lunch and have a lot of fun time. Still,I hope next Eid and Ramadan I will be in Qatar.

Comments:
I found it interesting to read the story about Eid AL-Fiter. It makes me want to see what the event looks like! Also, I want to see AL-Arthah danece! Hahaha~!!
 
I would also like to see the sword dance!

It's tough being in a foreign country during a time of celebration. It's hard to think of everyone at home eating special foods, dancing, and having a great time together while here most people aren't celebrating anything.
 
It can be lonely and disorienting to be in a different culture during a holiday or celebration in your own country. As an American in Japan, I always feel especially strange on Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving was always my favorite holiday in the U.S., because I could cook a turkey for all my friends. It was my own special tradition. In Japan, however, I can't find turkeys, the ovens are too small, and no one celebrates Thanksgiving! Fortunately, I have lots of substitute traditions in my life because I live here. I hope you can return to Qatar and enjoy your customs, but also enjoy the ones in the U.S.

John
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?